Monday, 28 May 2007

Sunday 27 May - 1st full day in Quebec City - R & R

My battery is running low... I'm sitting in the mall still typing away so need to be quick and get this to you before my laptop dies. I get about 2 1/2 hours without recharging and can't get my internet access at the university sorted out until tomorrow (Monday).

We woke this morning at various times to a fine day with clear skies. It is quite warm and comfortable. I slept in (yay) and nearly missed breakfast in the cafeteria at the university. It was nice... yoghurt, apple juice, scrambled egg, sausages, bacon, toast and tea - made me feel alive again.

We then all met in our new "meeting room" to discuss procedure stuff and plan the day. The juniors and seniors are doing a light training starting about now (3pm).

The Laval University is huge, with lots of big open space between the buildings. The landscape is completely flat which surprised me. For some obscure reason I imagined Quebec to be quite mountenous... perhaps I should have taken a bit more notice of the guide book.

Sorry... no photos of the university yet... promise that I'll do better later on today.

Everything is very clean and tidy.

Mr Burr and I took a walk over to the sports complex where the tournament will be held. I guess it is a 400-500 metre walk from our accommodation. So, while our digs are pretty basic, it's going to be great to be so close to home during the tournament.

The venue is huge with an indoor olympic pool and basket ball courts next door.

Most of the team walked or caught a bus just a couple of kilometers down the road to a set of three huge shopping malls. Heaven for many. By the time we turned up (late) many were in the food hall and all looking very happy.

I stayed on here to post a few articles for you and haven't seen anyone for ages to I'm guessing that they all headed back to get ready for this afternoon's training.

Language hasn't posed a problem. Everyone I've come across so far who serves in shops and the like can speak English. We're trying to use some of our rough French (Vous parlez Anglais) and it's appreciated but they're happy to speak with us in English. The signage is another matter. Fortunately a lot of the food signs and menus have numbers next to them which helps some if us.

I'm going to save this, before my battery runs flat, and head back to the University to see if I can get you some photos of the place and the team training.

Au revoir de la ville du Québec

No comments:

Post a Comment